About ten days after my last trip to New Hampshire at the beginning of August (and staying in some hotels along the way), I noticed my cat and dog itching. I bought a flea comb and voila: they both had fleas. Could have picked them up in the hotel, or, it has been an extremely bad season for fleas in this area, so they could have caught them here.
1. Bought a flea comb; ascertained they have fleas. $4
2. Bought a vacuum cleaner, vacuum every day: $80
3. Brought all our beds and bedding to the laundromat every week to wash with soap and eucalyptus oil and dry on hot: $20/week x 10 weeks = $200
4. Already had Vet’s Best spray: $10
5. Bought Only Natural Pet Herbal Defense Spray: $12
6. Bought EcoTreat from Wondercide and sprayed the outside of my cabin: $75
7. Bought a bag of Diatomaceous Earth and covered my house and pets. Spent hours dusting and cleaning the DE off everything: $16
8. Bought Natural Repel Soap with citronella and geranium from Wondercide and watched the fleas run for their lives down her legs: $10
9. Spread DE and spent days cleaning it up.
10. Bought more EcoTreat and soap, sprayed finally after ten days of rain: $85
11. Spread DE and spent days cleaning it up.
12. Bought Only Natural Pet squeeze on drops for cats and dogs: $34
13. Spread DE, they got it on them after the squeeze-on drops and it became a paste, spent days cleaning it up. Vacuum cleaner quit because it’s too clogged with DE.
14. Bought BioDefense from Wondercide: $99
Somewhere in there I also bought Brewer’s Yeast for $13 and feed it to them every day.
Today I gave Oreo a bath, and only 2 dead fleas came off her and one live one made for her head but I caught it and drowned it. After each treatment/vacuum/bath they would have some relief and I would think, thank God that’s over! Then within hours to days they’d be scratching again. I took my vacuum cleaner apart and cleaned all the DE out of it. Tomorrow (and for a long while to come) I’ll be dusting surfaces. That DE is EVERYWHERE.